Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Mail Protection: Configurable SMTP proxy port

Allow the SMTP proxy to be configured to run on a port other than 25, for users with ISP blocks on port 25 traffic.

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarCowMarCow shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    salessales shared a merged idea: Ability to change incoming SMTP port  ·   · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dmitry NesterkinDmitry Nesterkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very necessary functionality! It is possible to configure DNAT to make it listen on any port, but there is no way to block port 25 from internal interfaces (protection against bots, malware etc)

• SPSSPS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DNAT & SNAT - does not fit. SMTP Relay must accept SMTP-traffic on any port, and do forward to any port. Too many Mail Server for SMTP work with other ports, including Clients are configured on different ports for the protection of BOTs Adware.

• Jason HamiltonJason Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem with this is trying to tell the external smtp servers to redirect the smtp traffic to a different port. When I had a e-mail server running at home I used a service by dnsexit http://www.dnsexit.com/Direct.sv?cmd=mailRedirect to do this for me so that way everything was still using port 25 on the outside and just relaying through their servers it only cost like 10 bucks a year to do it. The other thing you could try is google apps for your domain they will allow you to have 100 e-mail boxes for free. That was what I ultimately switched my email to so that way I wasn't violating my TOS with my ISP otherwise you might have to get business class service from your ISP.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My home has a Linksys router. Linksys calls it "Port triggering" when you change 26 to 25. I assume that that would work if the device were in bridge instead of router mode.

Feedback and Knowledge Base