Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

AstaroOS: Backup Image / Second Bootrom

for worldwide support of a network

-> a internal image for e.g. on the harddisk
-> choose this image and boot = active image
-> second image is for a fast switch between running configuration and backup
-> a similar idea like the backup rom on mainboards
-> it could / would be something like a appliance with two virtual images and one is offline and if you need it - shutdown the actual and start the other one

-> it could be also something like a automatic newinstallation -> scripted ( automatic download of the newest image and start of installation) and you only enter the settings like ip that it has after the new installation

I think this saves a lot time for this new installation and makes it easier for remote troubleshooting.
I had often the problem that something whereever goes wrong and I need a new installation.
So I need someone onside ...
With this backup image it would be fantastic to solve everything remote.

99 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter MarzecPeter Marzec shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BarryGBarryG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CoyotePoint has a nice implementation of this.

However, istm that the configs would be different in each version (still good for a upgrade failure though)

• PatrickPatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have reinstalled many after bad patches, not hoping to ever do it again.
        Could be as easy as snapshot way. Image running machine to extra partition or only the delta everytime after an initial image.
        Patch running, restart, allow failback to previous snapshot or multiple with one initial and multiple deltas to go back to.

• MarkusMarkus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need that, too. I already had that VPN-Client problem ... Second boot rom would have been the best solution! And what happens if my firewall in USA would have a problem??? I would appritiate that.

• Eric FanEric Fan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly recommend Astaro Linux Core stored in ROM/Flash rather than Hard-disk, because I lose some pre-sales were about that in China and Hong Kong. In China, because of unstable electrical system always suddenly down, this will impact astaro hard-disk defective easily.

• Peter MarzecPeter Marzec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bob, yes it is I have to support Europe, Asia and the USA... and I do not want to work 24h when I have to do some troubleshooting.... so I am looking always to get a chance to be able to solve everything remote :-) In this case I have to call some to help me onside...

• Florian StockFlorian Stock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would make things a lot easier in case of such problems!
        I would appreciate an implementation of this request!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base