Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

FTP-Proxy virus scanning robustness

At the moment, if virus scanning enabled on UTM (320) for files smaller than 50MB you can run in a problem, if the file a packed zip file with a high compress rate and a complex directory and file structure(e.g 220MB more then 1600 files). The transfer can not completed and the ftp log show you:
2014:01:09-18:42:13 XXXXX-1 frox[23903]: Got no response from cssd
2014:01:09-18:42:16 XXXXX-1 frox[23903]: Virus scanner failed

My suggestion is, that the admin has the option to allow transfer complex zip files without an virus scan like a file that excite the maximum scanning size. it is a simple way to increase the robustness of the transfer.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matthias BrechtMatthias Brecht shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Web Protection > FTP > you should have the "Exceptions" section where you could specifically allow your Admin users to bypass the Virus Check and rely on their Client Ant-Virus system to provide the protection. Personally, I remember the days when Symantec & Ironport were easily tricked into allowing viruses through their E-mail Filter systems just by creating a complex compressed file structure. I know they had a # of levels set to scan by default that it would scan and then after that it just let things slip through.

Feedback and Knowledge Base