Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Web Protection: URL Policies based on browser, device, application (user-agent)

Our customer has a lot of special devices e.g. ipad, iphones and surface pad. Only these devices should access certain applications eg itunes.

Right now there is no adequate way to realise this requirement unless you implement user-agent based authentication.

Also some customers would like to block traffic coming from certain browsers, or certain browser versions.

65 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    UtzUtz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Marco WalbertMarco Walbert shared a merged idea: Web Protection: Browser enforcement (Eg. Chrome or Firefox)  ·   · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FosterDougFosterDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that these two requests are similar, and could be combined if there was a tool to do so:
        Web Protection: Filter based on user-agent (28 votes)
        Web Protection: URL Policies based on device/application/user-agent (12 votes)
        Web Protection: Browser enforcement (Eg. Chrome or Firefox) (41 votes)

• FosterDougFosterDoug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that these two requests are similar, and could be combined if there was a tool to do so:
        Web Protection: Filter based on user-agent (28 votes)
        Web Protection: URL Policies based on device/application/user-agent (12 votes)

• OscarOscar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think you can do this through Group Policy but I will have a look when I've got some free time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I highly doubt this is necessary. I think you can do this through Group Policy and block that application.

• DavisonDavison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see how this could be useful...oh well maybe others will find it useful.

• Joshua B.Joshua B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also be useful for preventing users on your network from using an unsecure browser (such as IE for example)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Multiple Customers need this browser based Profiles to allow for example itunes... just for Apple Devices

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to be able to block browsers too (using the user agent string?) COmpany policy forbids anything other then IE or firefox, so i need to be able to block all others.

• lferraralferrara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I would like to have a sort of this feature. I mean, it would be helpful to block with the application control the browser the company that do not work with. In my company, for example, we have policy for IE and Firefox managed by Active Directory Policy and we do not want to allow other browers to be used.
        Thank you in advance

• Marco WalbertMarco Walbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because in a comany you have to support all browsers. And now i ask you: why this? So i only allow one browser

• christianlouischristianlouis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jeff,

what benefit would such a check bring? Also there are tools e.g. for Firefox that are able to spoof your User Agent settings, so it's rather hard to do.
        Maybe you can describe the reason behind your feature request a little bit more and the goal you try to achieve.

Feedback and Knowledge Base