Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

AstaroOS: Software RAID1 support (Drive mirroring via MD)

I would like to be able to hard drive mirroring in software as I'm able to do on other GNU/Linux distributions such that if either drive fails I can boot from the working drive and rebuild the mirror on a replacement.

52 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    chilinuxchilinux shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2009 and nothing done? Sounds like someone has a stick in the mud over mdadm... Did the main developer make out with your GF in college? LOL

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

too bad this is not in the base product, a few other firewall distros have it. Makes it sound like AstaroOS is not very progressive. I would like to set one up for a friend and my mother-in-law but without RAID1 I am going to have to skip and suggest something like IPCop or a Sonicwall product.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outside of losing some logs and reports, the only additional downtime is the time it takes to copy a backup to a USB memory stick.

Assume that you have a second drive installed and that whenever you finish applying an Astaro Up2Date to the primary drive, you manually mirror it to your second drive. Also, you have configuration backups emailed to you every day.

When the first drive dies, put the most-recent configuration backup in the root of a USB memory stick. Switch the PC to boot from the second drive, insert the memory stick and boot.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1000. MD comes with the Linux kernel and the utilities are rather simple. I'm very surprised this is not at least a command-line install-time option.

Anyone know of a work-around to get the MD utilities and kernel module installed?

• William WarrenWilliam Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

highly agreed on this one..but astaro does support a wide range of true hardware raid cards as well..:)

Feedback and Knowledge Base