Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Reset a device to factory settings using a paper clip

When a Sophos UTM device is rendered inoperable due to a software or configuration problem, provide a means to reset the device to factory settings by using a paperclip to press a reset button. Like a Airport express device or many other electronic devices, it should not be possible to press the reset button accidentally.

When the reset button is depressed, beep several times, format the internal hard disk, install the software from an internal flash drive, or hidden recovery partition and when done, beep several times to notify the user its done.

When the system is restored, permit the user to login to the webadmin application using either the serial number or Mac address of the device as the password.

This has several benefits. Its more convenient, since I don't have to find a VGA screen to connect to the device to get to the terminal. I also don't have to wait 2 hours to download the ISO from the internet, burn it and connect a USB CD-ROM to the device wait for it to be installed, connect a local device to it etc.

When a new version of the software comes along, feel free to "patch" the recovery partition. Alternatively, allow me to boot into the recovery partition or flash drive and run diagnostics on the hardware, incl. the hard disk.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Werner StrydomWerner Strydom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...