Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

AstaroOS: More Supported UPS Devices

Add support for more UPS. We currently use a HP UPS which is not recognized by the ASG.

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ShaolinSamShaolinSam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PowderHoundPowderHound commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support NUT as Lewis Rosenthal suggests. I would like the ASG to act as a client and shutdown when the UPS (or in my case a NAS connected to the UPS) gives the signal. I can also see the use of the ASG being a server for such signals. As the ASG is such a critical network device and uses a hard disk, so is susceptible to damage, better UPS support is a must!

• Lewis RosenthalLewis Rosenthal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would think that this could be easily accomplished by incorporating the apcupsd package and then adding a brief management page to monitor & configure it. apcupsd supports a wide array of UPS connections. That said, Andrew's mention of NUT (Network UPS Tools) is an excellent one in terms of resources, particularly for non-APC devices.

• Mario RossiMario Rossi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the real problem is not the vendor but the interface used! In large datacenters there are Network UPS not USB one. Astaro does NOT support network ups via SNMP... this is very bad..

• Andrew KayAndrew Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thomas,

A lot of vendors use proprietary interfaces. For a good idea of the current status of UPS support in Linux, check out http://www.networkupstools.org/ which has support for the largest selection. In a number of instances their support of specific models is due to reverse engineering.

• Jason RichardsJason Richards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see for network support for UPS in the gui so that a a controlled shutdown is possible as in the MGE network shutdown module. Most of the major manufacturers network shutdown agents support one another, so it should be easy to implement. (SNMP?)

The basic USB support is really designed for small office setups and not data centres.

• Thomas DieckmannThomas Dieckmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

AFAIR, there's only support for some APC and MGE models. (expected to work, not tested)
        But there are also many other vendors like Online, Belkin and so forth. Has every UPS another interface? Is there no standard?
        I'd like to have Belkin and Online UPS-support implemented. (serial, USB and network)
        I think, it's time for an extra UPS-menu to configure this option exactly, how the admin wants it to have.

Feedback and Knowledge Base