RED: Uplink and UMTS/3G Signal Status
It would be great to know the status of the internet connection uplink(s) in use on our RED sites. Especially with the 3G/UMTS option, perhaps a way could be found to display the signal strength as well for extra benefits?
Great idea. This feature will be part of UTM 9.2 which will enter public beta in October. You will be able to test it out at that time. Stay tuned!
Update to 9.2-11, and the UTM GUI - RED Managment does not differ much with the previous version except it now shows RED LAN port status. The RED's LCD status how has an option to display 3G/UMTS Signal Strength but doing so would just display N/A.
On the UTM GUI, I would suggest the following changes:
1. Instead of the green-check and red-cross round icons, I suggest that it be replaced with 3 round icons labeled with 1, 2 and U representing Uplink1, Uplink2 and UMTS connections. And beside the U icon is the Signal Strength. The color of each icon may either be Green - Online, Red- Offline, Orange - Standby/Failover or Gray - Not Configured
2. Beside the icons, instead of just displaying 'Online from xx.xx.xx.xx', I suggest displaying also the UTM host connected to e.g. 'Online from xx.xx.xx.xx to utm-hostname-or-ip'
Gerhard Islinger commented
This would be very helpful - i have one customer with 3 REDs at branch stores, where UMTS should be used as backup...
Unfortunately it's not possible to check if:
- a stick was detected and recognized at all by the RED...
- if it has UMTS connectivity,
so this is exactly the feature requested here that i am missing...
- stick detected, and USB IDs
- UMTS connection valid? (should be checked at initialization)
- signal strength from stick, if possible
Add to this that we had "issues" with getting any supported UMTS sticks - there is no clear definition what to get, with all the versions with identical names, branding, firmware....
What we finally did was to get a few sticks from ebay and test them on a virtual appliance if they were detected, then on a test RED if they worked...
Finally it became clear that where the REDs were there was not sufficient UMTS field strength for the sticks...
a feature like that would help, especially in arguing with the customer if his sticks aren't supported, there is no reception where he has the stick, and so on...
RED Internet & UMTS uplink signal status!
Display in the UTM internet connection over which the RED goes to the Internet.
WAN or UMTS connection.
Signal strength of the UMTS connection.