Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Rain sensor

I'm using the home edition at home. I've told my kids that they can only use the Internet when it's dark outside or if it's raining. Otherwise, they should be out playing with friends.

I can not use a time period based access-list for this. Wouldn't it be possible to develop an interface for rain/light sensors?

Sunshine = Internet down
Rain = Internet up

Bjorn

108 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bjorn FredrikssonBjorn Fredriksson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FieldhouseFieldhouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I´d like an alcohol detector, to prevent some less appropriate posts on facebook and twitter!

• Thilo.LiThilo.Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there should be support for some additional sensors like "homework done" and "kitchen cleaned up".

• Richard StokesRichard Stokes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You would need to secure it s location, as the it could easily be hacked with the cup-of-water attack; the Encryption I would suggest is a 128-FOOT TREE installation.

• MartenMarten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be possible if there is an instance that can receive udp pakets from a home automation server.
        Make it possible that the utm can do some things per incoming udp pakets..

• RBRB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guys its a UTM Firewall not a weather reporting appliance!! ;-)

• Jeffrey LeeJeffrey Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Bjorn, I can't say much for parenting as I have no children of my own. If you are unable to control your children while they are inside your home, perhaps go a step further and find such a sensor for the door locks of your home.

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think we also need to consider adding a Snow sensor to this as well, otherwise the rain sensor may improperly block the internet. As all children should be able to play in the snow..

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bjorn,
        We allready have this in production at one of our biggest customers, a sales person will contact u tomorrow.

• kevinkevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could raise an FR for the rain sensor, however astaro could not secure the rain sensor without an additional deployment of a bouncer which may prove expencive in the long term

• dondon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe create a new tab so you can set QOS up to point to your countries most popular meteorology site to hook in.

• TSGTSG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Otherwise you could install a special feature into your kids - called "common sense" (no longer installed by default lately)

Feedback and Knowledge Base