Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Mail Protection: Report message as SPAM via Mail Log in UserPortal

Users would like the ability to report any spam that makes it to their inbox. Ideally, there would be a "report" button or link right in the users mail log next to every message that is delivered to the inbox. For quick-picking, it would be nice to have a button for "CONFIRM" to the mail quarantine digest too.

50 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron EssigAaron Essig shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MarcoMarco shared a merged idea: SPAM Blacklisting over a Link in the E-Mail Bottom  ·   · 
    nextitnextit shared a merged idea: In Release Options of Quarantine Report I want you to make an item of confirmed Spam.  ·   · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anton AbrahamsAnton Abrahams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you make an Outlook add-in that lets the user report an email as spam? That could potentially accomplish two things. First, it could make sure no future emails similar emails are delivered. And second, it can report that email to Sophos so you can analogize it to improve your spam rules.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also getting "NOTE: One or more messages that you attached did not qualify for
        false negative reporting. This may happen if you reported
        messages which were not transferred via an ASG gateway with
        a version number of 7.100 or higher."
        when reporting spam.

Is this procedure working?

• Nathan LockNathan Lock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does what Angelo wrote still apply in 8.202? I forwarded some spam samples and got back:-

Thank you for reporting "false negative" spam messages to Astaro's
        quality assurance system. This is the list of false negatives that
        were successfully reported:

NOTE: One or more messages that you attached did not qualify for
        false negative reporting. This may happen if you reported
        messages which were not transferred via an ASG gateway with
        a version number of 7.100 or higher.

• Aaron EssigAaron Essig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I created an Exchange contact for them to forward their mail on to this address. I think a report button in their digest would still be handy, but your response definately fulfills my needs.

Thanks again :)

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Angelo, you mean one can submit several spam emails in a single email? And that your program can handle the spam email as an attachment?

Thanks - Bob

• Angelo ComazzettoAdminAngelo Comazzetto (Product Ninja, Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Users do have an option if they have a message in their inbox which is a false negative (should be considered spam but isn't nabbed by the filter).

Simply forward the message so the headers are preserved to fn@astaro-tech.com which we have setup to submit these on the backend. This will address your feature.

Follow this procedure:
        1) Open a new message and address it to fn@astaro-tech.com
        2) Drag-and-Drop all your false-negative spam into that message.
        3) Send the message.

• Aaron EssigAaron Essig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Astaro does do a great job with the SPAM, we are catching 90% of the mailflow for this customer, sometimes even more. The problem with this is that it makes the one or two messages that do get through stand out like a sore thumb. Users are constantly forwarding these messages to me, which is fine, but gets annoying. Some users, especially the backyard IT ones, just need something to give them the feeling that they have taken action when a message gets through.

The funny thing is, usually when a message gets through, they will forward it to me and I will reply and the reply will get caught by the filter. This tells me that the ones that get through are probably a result of someone getting crazy with their whitelists. Its just annoying is all, I have 80 users forwarding me every message they think is spam (even stuff that they've signed up for) so it kind of has increase my spam :) . I've already given the "no spam filter will ever be perfect" speach and explained the balance of a few messages getting through vs. a few false positives per day.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, one of the great things about the way Astaro handles spam (beginning with V7.300) is that it virtually removes the admin from involvement with spam management. In any case, once the email has been delivered, there is no copy left in the Astaro that might be delivered to an admin or even to Commtouch - the user would need to forward the email.

Feedback and Knowledge Base