Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Web Security: Exceptions for Content Filter Overriding

The "bypass blocking" is a very useful feature, but it could represent a lack of security because admin cannot choose which url category cannot be bypassed.

For example, I don't like that my users can bypass content filtering for Illegal Software, Anonymizers and Malicious sites, but I can accept that they can bypass "Incidental Nudity" (a category that in some cases may be incorrect).

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    flaserraflaserra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Brian EggenbergerBrian Eggenberger shared a merged idea: Web Filter - Bypass Users - Specific Sites  ·   · 
    Rico SkaletzRico Skaletz shared a merged idea: Web Security: Exclude Some Categories from Override Feature  ·   · 

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rich BaldryAdminRich Baldry (Admin, Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In version 9.2 we added the 'Warn' option for policy. This allows users to proceed to certain categories after receiving a warning page. It's similar to the override feature, except that it doesn't require username and password.

Does this solve your problem? WIth 'Warn', you can set up policy so that 'questionable' categories that are OK to override get a warning, and you can disable the 'override' feature altogether, so that the 'Block' policy for completely unacceptable categories is always enforced...

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have been trying to load youtube to play an educational video but since youtube is blocked by your filter, i cannot show my fellow hpac members this video. I am a tenth grader running for president of my group and this affects my election.

Feedback and Knowledge Base