Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

RED: Support Backup Hostname for RED Connection

Currently, REDs and ASG must find and connect through the definition of a single host-name that is fully resolvable in the public. While this can use the DynDNS feature in ASG already for "fail over", it might be more simpler to just offer another host-name field to be used in the event RED looses connection to the main host-name?

Even with multiple WAN links avaialable to an ASG, the REDs use of just a single hostname poses a problem if that particular WAN link or ISP should drop for a time (e.g. fiber cut, dead modem, etc). The downed REDs wouldn't be able to connect in such a situation without some significant workarounds (e.g. DNS records modified to work with the other IPs and associated adjustment in TTL settings, ISP setting to redirect traffic, reconfiguring the host name on the ASG and on the corresponding REDs, etc.)

A backup secondary IP or hostname would be a nice enhancement that would help strengthen what appears to be a weak link in scenarios where remote office RED(s) rely on just a single ASG at the home office for internet access.

Such flexibility might also provide more flexibility to the ASG's automatic up-link balancing features as up-link balancing would likely already be configured and in use with multiple WANs present.

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    bbeningabbeninga shared a merged idea: Backup Host for RED Devices  ·   · 

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)