Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Licensing: Licensing software subscriptions with different capacity

It would be great if we could purchase software licenses of different protected IP's per-subscription on the same device. For example, If we need Web Application Security (for Protecting Servers) or Mail Security (to protect a mail server) we are forced to buy it for every IP behind the gateway. Licensing an entire LAN for protection from dedicated server attacks seems kind of unfair.

36 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CurtisCurtis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Benjamin HodgeBenjamin Hodge shared a merged idea: Granular License Purchase Options  ·   · 

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chad AlfordChad Alford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to bring this back up as well, I see no one has added to this in a while. My concern is that I have customers with less than 10 workstations. But I'm afraid to sell them the 110, which is the only option in their budget outside of Sonicwall or Untangle. If I have a customer with 6 Workstations, the 110 would seem to be a good solution. However, what happens when people want to bring in their smartphones, a few guests stop by with laptops for a day, or they have 4 network printers. this Licensing model is very dangerous from a sales point of view. I cannot tell my customers to pay hundreds of dollars more because they have network printers. And it seems that VPN connections can trigger this limit, and that is very BAD.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a similar suggestion, but I'll turn it into a comment and move it here and add my vote.

Cheers - Bob
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        COUNT IPs BY SUBSCRIPTION

The lack of counting in each application means that I can’t sell a 10-IP Web Application Security subscription with a 100-IP Network Security subscription and a 50-IP Web Security subscription.

Already, the licensing requires a 500-User license if only a single mail server with 500 mail accounts is protected.

Where the prospect is running VMware, one can achieve this without adding another physical server. Still there's more admin overhead in managing multiple devices (that's why they call it a UTM!).

Although the pricing for Network Security probably wouldn't be impacted, the pricing for the other subscriptions probably would have to increase in order to maintain revenue levels for Astaro.

Conversations with existing users indicate that this would increase the sales of the other subscriptions.

• alan salan s commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an example, we have about 15 full-time devices accessing the internet, plus 6 local devices which pull an IP (and thus hit the license count) but which never go outside (printers, infrastructure devices). Add in a few visitors, and we bump into our 25 count license. If I could pay 30/25 times the 25-user license, everything would be fine; but instead the next increment is 50 users, which is much more expensive.

A per-user license with discount bands (10-25, 25-50, 50-100...) would be great.

• maygyvermaygyver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Licence Model is somhow oudated. There is a must to change. Especially for Software and VMware Licence. Even the WAF/WAS(Web Application Security) and Wireless Security Licence model should be changed to per Access Point and per Physical Server.

• Mark CurrieMark Currie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think an additive or per user license model with price breaks would be a good solution for the software and virtual. Ie: To get 75 users, you buy an 50 user and a 25 user. You could even go more granular and just buy the amount of users required in single user quantities with price breaks, ie for 90 users = 90 x $50 per user for example, but buying a 10 user would be 10 x 75$ for example.

• Mark CurrieMark Currie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even Better..Make additive licensing possible..So if you need 30 users you can buy a 25 user and a 5 user...obviously not relevant for h/w appliances...

Feedback and Knowledge Base