Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

RED: High Availability Unit Support

Option for usinig two REDs in active/passiv config. If one RED fails the other will be online.

Case:
Customer has two Internet Connections, and wants to have two REDs. (It is a must cause of possible HW failure). There should be an automatic switch from one RED to the other and back. (both RED are connected internally to the same switch)

20 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    maygyvermaygyver shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FeritFerit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RED50 has been released. It has two WAN interfaces. It is possible to perform WAN link failover with RED50.

• maygyvermaygyver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An ASG is much too complicate and expensive. The customer decided to use REDs. And like to have this automatic. The new RED with two WAN ports will be nice.

• CANDERSONCANDERSON commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I see the point - I think the whole idea of the RED is to be agressively priced, and onbce you start getting into this type of functionality you really need to have an ASG at that location. I don't think REDs are not meant to be that fully functional.

In any case if you are worried about the REDs themselves failing (and not the WAN link dropping) you could use a Layer 3 switch or router on the internal network as the default gateway with two different 0.0.0.0 routes (one for each RED), but this is really overcomplicating something that if there is really a need for can be solved with an actual ASG

Feedback and Knowledge Base