Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Networking: VLAN with DHCP

It would be great if you could configure a VLAN interface with DHCP.
Also, I'd like to create the ability to use a VLAN on an interface already defined interface with PPPoE.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mario TechelMario Techel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    lb9velb9ve shared a merged idea: Networking: DHCP VLAN Interface  ·   · 
    dr_whodr_who shared a merged idea: DHCP over Vlan  ·   · 

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mikael AnderssonMikael Andersson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happend with this issue ? Not be able to use DHCP client on a vlan interface must be a bug ? When will it be released, because it is actually a vital function.

• Rune AlmenningRune Almenning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

117 votes, come on. I really like to use Astaro/Sophos, but i really can't without this DHCP VLAN option.

• louislouis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this too. I have 4x WAN eg VDSL modem, ADSL modem coming into a managed switch with each WAN being given a vlan tag.
        These then go into 1x interface on router which then need to use PPPoE to authenticate with ISP.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it would be useful I currently use Pfsense and it has no problem pulling DHCP to a vlan interace.

• Félix ClercFélix Clerc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My ISP on FTTH provides IPTV and data on 2 vlans. Unfortunately, he also implemented DHCP snooping, meaning the connection is cut if there is not an active lease for my IP.
        I cannot therefore use IPTV since vlans cannot be set in DHCP.
        It would be great to be able to assign vlans IP through DHCP then

• leon kokleon kok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ISP in my country using two VLAN ID, one for data and one for IPTV.Although I can assign the VLAN in PPPOE but that involves back end modification that will void the warranty of the unit that I'm try to avoid.

• Kevin HoKevin Ho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this feature to be available too. My ISP assign VLAN on the Broadband Termination Unit (BTU), whereby IPTV and the Internet is using 2 different VLAN. It is using PPPoE and I would like ASG to initiate the PPPoE. The problem is I can't assign VLAN at the PPPoE interface.

• Aaron MarksAaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really useful in certain scenarios and I don't think there's any reason why this feature can't be included.

Better yet, why not just get rid of the "Cable Modem" name and call it DHCP Ethernet and DHCP Ethernet (VLAN), e.g. same with PPPoE(A).

• christianlouischristianlouis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what you want to do is create a new interface from the Ethernet VLAN type and instead of assigning a static IPv4 address to it you'd like it to request the IP address via DHCP, correct?

• Mario TechelMario Techel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bob,

maybe we misunderstood. I don't understand your posting, maybe because it's late... ;)

i have one interface configured for pppoe, now my provider switched iptv to a vlan (vlan 8) so i have to configure an addional vlan on the interface, but that's not possible via webamin. i did it on commandline, this works. it's also necessary that this vlan get's it's ip via dhcp, did this also with cli.

as far as i know it's not possible to configure a vlan in webadmin to receive it's address by dhcp just static address. or am i wrong?

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a little confused. How can an interface work in both VLAN sometimes, but not all? Is this even possible?

Feedback and Knowledge Base