Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Mail Security: Auto-whitelist Recipients of Outgoing Email Messages

All emails sent by internal users or from internal mail servers have their recipient addresses added to the MailSecuriy's whitelist.

That way if you send someone an email, you know that their reply will not be blocked.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James BrownJames Brown shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    James BrownJames Brown shared a merged idea: MailSecurity: Whitelist addresses via email  ·   · 

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anton AbrahamsAnton Abrahams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Flaserra, yes, I agree, the list could be enormous, but they could do something like only keep email addresses in that list for 30 days or even 15 days. So yes, it would be big, but it would be somewhat controlled and should never get too large.

• flaserraflaserra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sophos could reply that with this option, white list could be enormous, because for every sent message a new address would be added. I think that the best solution is: autowhitelist for most used email address.

• Anton AbrahamsAnton Abrahams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an excellent suggesting and would have saved us a huge headache a couple of weeks ago! We were going through a middle of a huge deal exchanging emails back and forth with several companies. One of the companies got added to an RBL and was blacklisted for spamming in the middle of this interaction, and we stopped getting emails from them. I ended up adding them to the exception rule, but it took several days to realize what happened and we had missed numerous important emails.

• Joshua MarshallJoshua Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this feature. I get weekly requests from frustrated users to whitelist clients addresses and domains.

• SB-TecSB-Tec commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also wants to have this Feature. Maybe, in the Webadmin, the Administrator should be able to define the rules for this feature like:
        - On / Off
        - Set the Whitelist for the user only, for the whole Domain or for all Domains
        - Set the Whitelist only for the recipients Mail or the whole recipient Domain
        - Set the retention, the entry will be in List (xx Weeks or infinite)
        - Set the number of mails sent to an Adress from whereafter the entry will be persistent.

• James BrownJames Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Probably should have a user-defined time period, after which the recipient's whitelist status is removed if there have been no emails from them. That way it would prevent the list growing without end.

• James BrownJames Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Bob. Really just so that users can easily add all the contacts in their address book to the SMTP exception list so that emails from them are never inadvertently blocked as spam.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

James, I haven't seen that an extensive whitelist is required, so I don't understand the motivation for your two suggestions about making it easy to add adresses en masse.

Feedback and Knowledge Base