Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

AstaroOS: WAN Optimization

have some kind of packet caching and optimization like the same what Riverbed or BlueCoat does. Instead of my corporate site contains 2 boxes for firewall and packet optimization appliance in each site, this can turn into all in one UTM with ability to have a packet caching mechanism. It will be speed up overall WAN usage and using bandwidth efficiency.

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KosinKosin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • someonesomeone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

meraki does this even in the most basic of appliances... so why can't sophos??

• GunungGunung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is cool, can optimizer bandwidth and optimize file copy from site to site vpn

• rsmfazilrsmfazil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a good idea, but like said earlier, it would put too much load on the Firewall. But, Astaro can always come out with a dedicated appliance that works hand-in-hand with ASGs for WAN Optimization. This will be a good value addition in my openion.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Astaro briefly relabeled a web optimization appliance. It didn't last long, so I'm guessing this idea has no chance at Astaro unless one of the developers has an insight that would allow Astaro to accomplish this easily and with low overhead.

• Thieu Hon TranThieu Hon Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO, that's going way too far. You need to buy a separate packet caching appliance. Adding this task would put too much load on a firewall. That's not the job of a firewall appliance.

Feedback and Knowledge Base