Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

AstaroOS: Remote Configuration / Scripting Configuration API

Add the ability to Remotely Configure some of the dynamic settings in the Astaro Gateway.

For instance a dynamic setting would be SMTP allowed domains.

We as a hosting organization have automatic signup to email, and the customers SMTP domain and MX records are moved to our servers. our internal mail servers have the ability to be configured by scripting remotely. But the Astaro must always be configured manually to accept the customers SMTP domain.

implement a SOAP/XML webservice or something like it. That would allow Remote Configuration. Would be cool to be able to request logfile data and retrive it in XML aswell.

134 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MobayMobay shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paolo VenturiniPaolo Venturini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A REST API to configure firewall rules would be really useful and would allow to script tasks that actually requires boring and error prone manual intervention on Web GUI.

• tjbbetjbbe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use the standard Open Management Interface (kinf of CIM). Microsoft powershell can then be used to write config modules to automate the config of the firewall. This can ALSO be done on Linux.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UH?!
        You can already do that with the cc / cc RAW (commandline / CLI) but would loose warranty!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's 2014 already? Everything (but Sophos UTM) has a restful API! Get with the times Sophos. :)

• Michael CassanitiMichael Cassaniti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd suggest doing both a configuration API and additionally a command line interface.

One facet of the company I work for is hosting services. We currently host a multi-context Cisco ASA for customers, but are looking towards a virtual firewall per customer.

At present we have a manual change control process. An engineer submits a full configuration change as a set of commands with appropriate detail, and a senior engineer approves the change.

We have two products that are applicable for virtual firewalls. One is the Sophos UTM, and the other is Palo Alto. Unfortunately the Palo Alto is the likely contender mainly because of the scripting capability.

I see us in the future moving to an automated process that could leverage a configuration API rather than a CLI. Again I would suggest implementing both.

• AndromegaAndromega commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide API to display/change firewall policy and configuration, automated provision of appliances, this will enable massive deployment of virutal appliances in a cloud provider.

Feedback and Knowledge Base