Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Multipath: Allow WAN1 to burst to WAN2

Astaro must have the ability to allow traffic to burst over to a second WAN link when the primary WAN link is saturated or reaches a defined maximum of traffic amount in a day/week/month. We currently have options to failover traffic depending on source, destination, and interface. What we need is another category for bandwidth utilization.

212 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt GridgemanMatt Gridgeman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Iain WilsonIain Wilson shared a merged idea: add the ability to script automatic switchover based on total transfer  ·   · 
    Gert HansenGert Hansen shared a merged idea: Networking: Wan Link Balancing Spillover  ·   · 

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Iain WilsonIain Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature that would be very useful for myself personally. I live in a rural area and until recently did not have access to "unlimited" high speed data. However, even though I now have unlimited I would still like to have this feature so I can use an alternate higher speed provider to boost bandwidth without worrying about overage (set your monthly limit on the relevant want and then use load balancing).

• daheymdaheym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially with the new UMTS-stick support this is very interesting.

e.g. you have a small primary internet uplink (e.g. 1mbit) and a "fast" UMTS uplink. UMTS is in most regions limited (5GB/month free) and expensive. So a static map of all HTTP traffic to the UMTS link will waste your ressources even the primary uplink is 90% free.

• AndreasAndreas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After what I understand the mulitpath today is simple round-robin (1-1). In 7.5 you will be able to set uplink bandwith for statistics. It would be nice if this uplink bandwidth would be linked to the round-robin so that if you have one 10mbit and one 5mbit link the round-robin would send 2 clients on the 10mbit uplink per 1 on the 5mbit uplink.
        This would probably give give you a similar result as the burst that you ask for. So either burst or more advanced round-robin would be great.

• gabryel976gabryel976 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very common in Italy to have providers that charge in base of the traffic generated.
        These kind of links, that are normally very expensive, are used just in case the first internet link is full. Would be very important to have this feature such as a kind of QOS service.

• gabryel976gabryel976 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortunatelly not. There is another feature request called "spillover" that is more or less the same thing.

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt, if you put 'Uplink Balancing' into "Multipath" mode, doesn't that allow you to do what you want if the traffic type supports it?

Feedback and Knowledge Base