Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Management: Enable UPS sharing

It should be possible to make the UTM the UPS master and other servers obtain notifications from UTM or UTM becomes a client of another UPS server offering informations.

204 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    gerold.grubergerold.gruber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BembelBembel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has now been more than 4 years since this request has been created - our ASG/UTM machines are still the ones in the datacenter without proper uplink to our UPS system to be shut down in case of a power outage...

• Andrew KayAndrew Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@gerold: Our Astaro's (along with everything else) at HQ hang off a pair of Liebert UPS. The primary UPS has an optional SNMP/web card installed so our infrastructure can initiate shutdown during extended power outages. It'd be nice for our ASG's to do the same.

• flaserraflaserra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@gerold, in most cases there is a network ups, not an usb ups, that manage all the server farm... so in my case I need to connect to UPS via lan

• gerold.grubergerold.gruber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the feature is almost implemented: just tweak the config of the nut daemon and make a little whole into the firewall, so clients can get all they need from a locally USB connected nut supported UPS.
        What could be the problem to have a little GUI for this?

Allowing ASG to be a client for an other upsd seems more expensive to me.

• Andrew KayAndrew Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might be worth considering the NUT (Network UPS Tools) package over apcupsd. NUT has broader support including APC, Belkin, Cyberpower, Dell, Eaton, HP, Liebert, MGE & Powerware among others.

• William WarrenWilliam Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a cyberpower ups that has Three dataports. Right now i'm shoehorning the management software into the Astaro to get it to shutdown on queue. Once i get that working i'll let everyone know what i had to do to make it work..:)

• William WarrenWilliam Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

use your file server to do this. actually i ahve a new ups i jsut isntalled at a client that has three data ports so i can actually have the asl not depend on another machine. I ahve my file server as the lan master and the asl in primary port 2 so it talks to the ups on it's own..:)

this idea has 1 year, when will be implemented? we need it, ASG is ***the ONLY device*** in our server room without lan connection to our APC ups... :(( I hope that developer team will soon accept this request

• Zach NicholsonZach Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice to have ASG send remote shutdown signals to connected servers and be able to adjust shutdown time.

• Jon EtkinsJon Etkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too have multiple servers on my UPS, all running apcupsd (Linux) or PCNS (Windows), and getting their status notifications from the AP9617 management card installed in the UPS itself.

Please implement this functionality in ASG; I can't believe that software intended for a data center or server room requires its own stand-alone UPS with a USB connection - that's so last century!

@steffen: I have the same problem, some months ago I ask for snmp support but it was just ignored... :(

• sammoesammoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement apcupsd. It's easy to configure and works fine with all plattforms.

• Steffen HornungSteffen Hornung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have several APC UPS in our Datacenter. Some Servers connect through network shutdown software, our NetApp connects thru SNMP. USB is nice for smaller installations. But for our hotstandby-setup --> how should this work?

• Feng ZhaoFeng Zhao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now can we support APC power network shutdown for Linux, we have APC network management card AP9617 installed on APC UPS, now it can support for our Windows server, APC has network shutdwon for Linux, it is support Red Hat, Turbolinux, SuSE Linux, does it support Astaro GW 7.401. our UPS is APC Symmetra 16K.

Feedback and Knowledge Base