Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Reporting: Enhanced Hardware Information

Add granular and detailed reporting graphs showing details like:
CPU usage per core
CPU usage by processes(iowait, interrupts, useful for determining HW problems or poor performance)
RAM per process
SMART status
Heat/Cooling/Power(RPMs, temps, voltages)
UPS status(Vbatt, Vout, Vin, etc)

all of this can be implemented using Munin with some tweaking

471 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    glovatoglovato shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This morning we got an error from a customer we couldn't resolve remotely. When an engineer came tot the office of the customer he was able to fry an egg on the SG125. Airco stalled. We could have known this a couple of day's earlier. Come on Sophos! Please add it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've seen that this feature request was opened in 2009... How much votes do they need for implementation? Think this is a very important feature. Every Server has its own monitoring for hard disks, temperature, fan speeds and so on, so it would be very useful if you were able to monitore those hardware parameters for the firewall too... we should work proactive not reactive ;)

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it's very important that any device critical to keeping servers and workstations online be kept in good shape and in a safe environment. That means early detection of possible hardware failure would be an excellent feature! If the hardware is unable to cool itself (motherboard or CPU temperature, fan status) or there are power problems (frequent battery usage or other UPS status), that's important to know. It would be nice if the UTM provided that information and could send notifications.

• Greg DGreg D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a standard feature on all device GUI's and that even means Sophos, Cisco, Juniper, and etc. "Heat/Cooling(RPMs, temps)" at the very least.

• Shawn ThompsonShawn Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add temperature/hardware sensor data to the dashboard. I would have been able to catch the overheating CPU problem I had with my UTM before it fried due to the CPU fan RPM being too low (by fan design, stupid Intel stock fans).

• glovatoglovato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's baffling that not even the HW Sophos units have ANY kind of monitoring/alert in webadmin, one would think that being branded units they would have a better integration than just a static image on the GUI

• glovatoglovato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is sitll missing even on the appliances and it's not a minor issue either as a failed fan or overheat will cause severe problems

• mack mack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes we need temperature sensors atleast but not just lm-sensors but some proper monitor like cpu/ram in dashboard.

• BarryGBarryG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sensord is still missing, there's no easy way to set up alarm beeps and emails without it.

• BarryGBarryG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SNMP isn't enough if you want temperature, fan status, etc...
        the lm_sensors modules and utilities need to be installed. It looks like much of this is installed in v9 now, and just needs to be configured.

sensors-detect
        /etc/init.d/lm_sensors restart
        sensors

seems to get things going. now we just need it in SNMP and email alerts if something goes haywire.

• Mark MMark M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had to go onsite to service system with failed hard disk, Add SMART monitor

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base