Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

MLPPP / Bonding of DSL Lines

72 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JMLJML shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ulrich WeberUlrich Weber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone willing for alpha testing with v9 send me an mail to uweber AT astaro.com

Cheers Ulrich

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It has been a few years since I posted this request. MLPPP has become very popular. Placing a MikroTik router in front of Astaro seems to be the only economically viable way to get this service. I do wish Astaro would take a serious look at this soon.

• Terry JohnsonTerry Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a big help. Outside of major cities (and sometimes within cities where there is little competition) DSL bandwidth is awful.

We currently have two DSLs that top out of 3Mbit on a good day. They used to deliver 6Mbit, but then Bell started overloading its local POP...

• Angelo ComazzettoAdminAngelo Comazzetto (Product Ninja, Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An interesting idea. We have chosen to focus on the benefit of multiple ISP links without the bonding feature from a single provider. If mlppp becomes increasingly popular we will have a closer look. It has a very limited impact/potential market, and really only helps when transferring a single large file. As such, our long-term focus is still on improving and extending wan balancing.

• Darin LuckieDarin Luckie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been a big fan on Astaro for a few years! However, with DSL speeds of only 5-7Mbps on a single line - speeds are not all too great (don't even get me started on upload speeds!)

However, with MLPPP Astaro could reach an even greater base of "power users" and those who demand more from their internet connections, expecting the features which astaro offers!

Just my 2 cents! Hope to see MLPP soon!

-D

• Brian J. BrandonBrian J. Brandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's products on the market that bonds at Layer 3 so multiple DSL connections can be bonded without ISP support. And since it works at Layer 3 is enables, dare I say, bonding a DSL connection with a Cable Modem. The big player is http://www.vunity.com

• AlvinAlvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

multilink is nothing at all like link balancing.
        First large packets are split over all the links so that latency is reduced.
        The effect is symmetrical where link balancing is only in one direction.
        link balancing can not be done on a packet by packet basis so that any single connection will max out at the speed of one link.

• neokismetneokismet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature will be a boon for those of us on multiple DSL lines. Leased line connection is too expensive for our school.

• nelsonnelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish to have Multi Link PPP or at least Single Link PPP

I know it already being requested in previous version but never included because it was said that this was a duplicate of uplink balancing, but there is many to say:

-First, In Canada many ISP now support MLPPP
        -Second, ISP are supporting this because the operator of the BIG POTS/DSL Network in Canada is throttling any DSL user in Canada that uses any high bandwidth service except HTTP during 1/3 of each day.
        -Third, it's also the only transparent way to double, triple or another multiplicator of the speed and still getting Unlimited Data. For home users that want unlimited data, they will get at most 5M/DSL while Business will get 6M/DSL without this.
        -Last, it's not the safest way of having redundancy, but it allow a Internet connection to works even when link used for the connection is disconnected because MLPPP is a Layer-2 so everything from Layer-3 and higher is not affected by this ( if there is at least one link that still connected ).

So home users that use 5M/DSL want at least SLPPP for Net Neutrality and to use all the speed advertised. Power home users and Business users want MLPPP for both getting a higher speed and using it for any content they want as long it's legal.

Thanks,
        Nelson

• malbojiamalbojia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a home user, with limited ISP options and throughput availability. Using multiple bonded DSL lines is an effective cost solution, to where the speeds can superceed having to pay for a T1 connection. I decided to go this route due to no affordable options that had non existent speed packages of 1Mbps Uploads. Having this option included would be a great perk. and reduce errors from having to configure it in the underlying operating system/maintenance updates that add bugs later on.

• attickaatticka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Along with MLPPP, it would be great to see SLPPP added as well for the home user who wishes to have a greater level of security over their DSL lines. Teksavvy, mentioned originally, supports both SLPPP and MLPPP for it customers.

• JMLJML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a business owner hosting servers an affordable high BW solution is hard to come by. With ISPs (TekSavvy) you can bond multiple DSL lines together to achieve data rates that can rival or in some cases blow away a T1. In Ontario you can have 2 800K/6M DSL accounts for apx. $100.00 (w/dry loop). It would be nice to see Astaro develop a similar Linux script to the open source one available now so it could mange boned DSL connections. Astaro home users can benefit from this as well.

Feedback and Knowledge Base