Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Networking: Add TShark (WireShark) for Packet Dumps in WebAdmin

While TCPDump is useful, TShark is much more so, especially with Layer 7 filtering being added.

Add the ability to capture and save a packet dump on a selected interface via the support section of ASG's WebAdmin

489 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    BarryGBarryG shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Networking: Display allowed packets  ·   · 
    Oliver HamelOliver Hamel shared a merged idea: Packet capture from webui  ·   · 

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To make tcpdump more useable for admins without deeper linux knowledge it would help them if tcdump can be started via WebAdmin, select interfaces, hosts and ports, start the capture into a file and provide the data after capturing as download. Thus it can be analyzed via Wireshark on a windows/linux PC.

This way we have a simply capture of raw network data and can analyze it with the power af wireshark.

• Sascha PantleonSascha Pantleon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

<- what can you do with TShark ->

If you're of the opinion that tcpdump quiet enough . Then I ask back in time! Why do you not update the tcpdump? The version in the v9 can not even ring buffer. For example -G

• ciscohiteciscohite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tcpdump is gud but Tshark is even better in terms of output generated in the log files. would recommend Tshark along with the GUI Integration.

• TonyTony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gert - I put these boxes in and support VoIP - capturing for analysis RTP and SIP traffic is trivial for tshark.

• BarryGBarryG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Gert, when tracking down a problem, it's not very convenient to have to dump to a file, copy the file off the firewall, and open it on another machine.
        I often just run tcpdump or ngrep with the output to the console when testing connections, etc., and the output of tshark is MUCH easier to read than that of tcpdump.
        I can't find a screenshot of the main packet view so you'll just have to try it yourself :)

It can also do things which tcpdump cannot, such as summarize traffic, e.g.
        http://geek00l.blogspot.com/2007/07/hex-livecd-using-tshark.html

thanks
        BarryG

• Gert HansenGert Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there,
        just out of curiosity, what can you do with TShark, that you can't do with tcpdump, which is already on the ASG.

try to use these options to capture all outbound smtp traffic:
        - tcpdump -i ppp0 -s 0 -w /tmp/smtp_out.pcap port 25

• gabryel976gabryel976 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would be very confortable to have it directly on the asg to avoid to export pcap files each time that we have to analyze the traffic.

Feedback and Knowledge Base