Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Networking: Granular QoS

Provide a means of applying QoS to users and sessions, so that granular controls can be applied as needed to better control traffic and bandwidth.. Fine-tunes the offering of QoS to allow for more specific environments and configurations.

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gert HansenGert Hansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Damir ImamovicDamir Imamovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was ready to create new idea but this one is close. Application traffic shapping is something we must have. Example:
        I would ilke to setup percentage or amount of bandwidth available to Citrix no matter what is going on on link. For this you have to have something like packeteer but is quite expensive for simple deployments ...

• BillybobBillybob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was at a school recently and they had a generic looking box doing all the QoS. When I inquired about it, they said they had been using it for about a decade. It is still running 2.4 kernel and the granular control you wouldn't believe. I wouldn't name the product but with huge demands for bandwidth, granular control over everything each user/app is doing is not just a wish, its a priority.

• Luke RoussellLuke Roussell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adoption of IP videoconferencing is on the rise and customers now are already using VoIP. You need to play nice with integration of voice + rich multimedia to compete with cisco, juniper, etc on the road ahead.

• Jürgen LabsJürgen Labs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if it would be possible to sort trafic in different queues. Then you migth be able to give prioritys to the queues. At least you should be able to drop packets from the queues with low priority by random to aviod growing of the queue. The Network Protokol will do the rest if the wrong packet is dropped.

• Martin HolstMartin Holst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to shape traffic by priority / weight.
        L7-protocol-classification of traffic. (Already used for the IM/P2P-control?)

• Andrew HoldemanAndrew Holdeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would also be VERY nice if we could specify exclusions to the QOS pools such as from 1 internal network to another behind the Astaro Firewall.

• dspenderdspender commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, I have an Allot Netenforcer outside my firewall which is great for monitoring protocols and sites and specific bandwidth allocations. The machine is awesome but pricey.
        I thought Astaro would take care of QoS for the inside but I was mistaken. Its pretty ho-hum bare bones stuff. Hardly any options.... compared to my experience with Packeteer and Allot. Should definitely improve it.

• Matthias NeesMatthias Nees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried 2 things with QoS - limit http (does not work) - limit ftp (does work well). I think generally Astaro should improve the QoS Feature in ASG.

• Bert JanssenBert Janssen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, this would be a great improvement indeed.. allso an good option would be Session based QOS (so for example set a maximum bandwith of 1 Mbit per session/source ip of a user that downloads from a webserver)

• GoldyGoldy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Applying QOS by times would be also great and very useful, so we could apply more bandwidth to different services in different times.

• Marcus HockMarcus Hock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

QoS is very "lowlevel" anyway on astaro, as you cannot really manage the downstream bandwidth of an application (This isn't mentioned in the manuals!)
        I thought I could limit the amount of downstream bandwith used by the HTTP Proxy, for example - but actually this isn't possible due to patent rewasons, I think

Feedback and Knowledge Base