Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

MailSecurity: IMAP Proxy

Implement an IMAP proxy. Provides filtering and scanning functionality for those that use this type of mail retrieval. It rounds out our offering to include all 3 of the major ways users access mailboxes.

981 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gert HansenGert Hansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Mark DooreyMark Doorey shared a merged idea: IMAP SSL Port 993 For Mac Mail  ·   · 
    Michael ReipkeMichael Reipke shared a merged idea: Reverse IMAP / IMAPS Proxy  ·   · 

45 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • utmadmutmadm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of IMAP support is nearly a show stopper for our company as we evaluate UTM vs. the alternatives.

With the widespread use of IMAP between desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, the lack of this feature is disheartening, to say the least. POP and SMTP are also must-haves, but without IMAP, Sophos appears to be falling behind.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMAP is a must if you would like to call this feature mail security. And please start driectly to implement SSL/TLS for IMAP.

• Hartmut MenchHartmut Mench commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whats the argument to sell Mailsecurity?
        It must be possible to scan Mails from providers like google mail.which not support pop3

• Mark DooreyMark Doorey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all respect Bob, I added this request for IMAP Proxy for all those MAC's out there that use IMAP. Not all UTM's are installed in enterprise environments. I install them in consumer and SMB environments. It would be good to add this function even if "Apple" users think that they are immune to threats.
        Mark

• Bob AlfsonBob Alfson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all due respect, I think Gert threw this idea out to measure support and likely was surprised at the number of votes it got. I think this idea should be rejected.

Here's how to use UTM Email Protection to get AV and AS with Quarantining for IMAP email with a domain you control: http://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/mail-protection-smtp-pop3-antispam-antivirus/49131-9-106-16-pop3-proxy-mails-not-sync-server.html#post244819

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is essential today because there are lots of mail servers using this!!!

• Adrian BaxterAdrian Baxter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's disappointing that there is no response from Sophos about this.

I think that perhaps the most relevant point is that many competing products already have this, and Sophos UTM will need it to remain competitive as IMAP becomes more and more prevalent.

• DirkDirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A really good idea. I am only using IMAP for my 1&1 post boxes as well as with Gmail to have access to everything being at home or on the go. Unfortunately I am not able to scan those traffic with my ASG120. So I also would appreciate a IMAP proxy in addition to the POP3 and SMTP Proxy due to the reason that many small offices/companies not allways having a own Mail server which downloads (POP3) and send (SMTP) the emails on its own. For the same reason as I use IMAP many small companies does it. So it really would improve the ASL.

• Matthias FleschützMatthias Fleschütz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@christian: ok, you've just pointed out the reasons more detailled.
        But the way Bastian tried to say his comment is a fact, ignoring other markets and products is simple what i wrote....

• christianlouischristianlouis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bastian: This is arguable to a degree. Probably, most enterprise environments that are Sophos' target customers have a sort of Groupware system that does not necessarily use IMAP as its core protocol (Groupwisse, Notes, Exchange, you name it). If they don't run their own on-premise Groupware system, they'd either use a managed Exchange installation or use groupware systems that are purely browser-based (such as the Google Apps suite).

However, you're under the (in my opinion) wrong impression that the UTM's target market is sorely the enterprise network. However, more and more UTM deals are about provider installations or other installations that have to deal with a more open network; whether it would be public Hotspots, university networks or ISP installations. Within those networks an IMAP proxy is not only nice, but in some deals mandatory - I've personally seen Astaro not be picked because of its lack of IMAP proxy capabilities in the past.

On the other hand, unencrypted IMAP protocols are hard to find in the industry anymore. So if we are talking about an IMAP proxy here, it needs to be able to deal with SSL encrypted sessions, similar to how the HTTPS proxy can deal with End-to-End encrypted sessions as well.

@Matthias: Most companies don't want to use Microsoft products, but - yes, this is a hard truth to face for open source evangelists/community members - they do it anyways. The alternatives are simply not as widely spread as Exchange is. And, calling some other opinion "BS" without giving examples or a further reasoning earns you the red herring of the day IMHO.

• Bastian HaasBastian Haas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one really needs IMAP in today's enterprise environments. Everyone uses solutions like Blackberry oder Exchange ActiveSync.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base