Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Mail Protection: Forward POP3 Emails via SMTP to internal Server

There are still a many customers out there which use POP3 Mailboxes. If a customer want's to connect these POP3 mailboxes to an internal Microsoft Exchange server, they always need to purchase an add-on tool which needs to be licensed on a per user basis. The tool downloads the POP3 Emails and forwards them 1:1 to the internal Server via SMTP. Each POP3 Mailbox needs to be configured via server, username and password and an SMTP email address where the email gets forwarded to.. Integrate this add-on feature and minimize the cost and effort needed to install, manage and maintain a seperate tool.

85 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gert HansenGert Hansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christian RostChristian Rost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really appreciate this feature. In my experience many customers with up to 50-60 users still rely on POP3/ IMAP based Email retrieval. They do not want to maintain their own MX because of the obligatory implications like a relailable internet connection, a secured mail-server or even bigger/ faster hardware for the mail-server.

What Gert Hansen describes sounds much like "fetchmail" or something similar. It is bullet-proof and even behaves like an MTA - e.g. fetched Email will only be deleted from the mailbox if it is successfully delivered to the local MTA. Therefor all existing Email-Security features can be applied, because fetched Email will be injected locally using SMTP.

BTW, I'm sure you won't forget POP3s and IMAPs.

• Olusina DaramolaOlusina Daramola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For you to understand my request, I will appreciate it if you can download a tool eXchangePOP3 from www.exchangepop3.com/.
        POP3 connector connects to your external email server using email address, password and server address to collect users email at interval and forward it to an internal server email server who decides what to do with emails. The internal email server could be exchange server or any server. It could be email client

Feedback and Knowledge Base