Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

WebSecurity: Local Content Filter Database

Provide the option for the Content Filtering URL database to be downloaded/cached/stored locally.. Reduces reliance of URL Filter performance on available bandwidth, increasing response times and lookup speeds.

199 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gert HansenGert Hansen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    paulgpaulg shared a merged idea: Local database for "URL Filtering"  ·   · 

In Sophos UTM 9.3 we switched to a new URL Categorization lookup system that avoids many of the performance issues of the previous system. In particular, it keeps a local cache of categorization results which really speeds things up.

For more information about UTM 9.3, see this announcement: http://blogs.sophos.com/2014/11/10/sophos-utm-advantage-9-3-is-coming-soon-find-out-whats-new-2/

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew HoldemanAndrew Holdeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed/wanted feature in my neck of the woods as well, one thing I would love to see with it is have it download to the HDD & maintain a copy there that keeps getting updated so even if the http proxy dies/restarts/etc instead of having to re-download the entire DB from the net into active memory it'll take the copy from the HDD & put that into active memory

• christian kuepperschristian kueppers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When is this next version in place? some 9.1 beta testers stated that it stopped working setting that with cc-tool.
        will it be working in 9.1?

• HescominsoonHescominsoon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

nice..it isn't a bandwidth issue as i have PROVEN multiple times. it is a problem of when the cff servers get slow..it's been mitigated some by an apparent addition of more cff instances..but not eliminated it.

• Angelo ComazzettoAdminAngelo Comazzetto (Product Ninja, Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Salem,

The possibility exists to activate this easily via the command line for customers that have bandwidth limitations and benefit from this feature. We are looking at ways to make this permanent, however it requires a re-design of our web filter framework and scalability (especially during Up2Date) so we need more time to make this an official feature in the GUI,

is this truly a priority? if not just close this and let's be honest..then I can tell folks to turn this off and go from there.

what is the status? is this planned for v9 at all? Is this going to be another broken promise?

When is Astaro going to make good on its promise for this to be officially supported? It has been over a year(maybe longer).

What is the status on this now? Still a technology preview? It's well tested by the community. Considering some of the lack of testing in other "features" i would make this one a priority.

it is not hard to write int he script that powers this config option that if the machine has less than 3 gigs of ram it won't be able to be enabled.

disk mode will be slower than mem mode just do to the fact the disk is orders of magnitude slower than ram..but there is still a performance boost from "cloud" to disk..:) The older units cannot be upgraded due to chipset limitations...have to complain to intel on that one..that is not something done by Astaro. If your machine can't handle more ram it's time for a new box.

• Andrew KayAndrew Kay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Angelo: You may want to look at upping the allowed RAM limits on the appliances then. :) I've tested several installs on hardware & software and while the local content cache significantly improved our browsing experience, the disk mode is still noticeably slower then mem mode.

it has not been rolled out as of the first two 8.2 releases. Considering other issues I would say this has gone back into a lower priority...

• Angelo ComazzettoAdminAngelo Comazzetto (Product Ninja, Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incorrect. This has not been shelved, and we are still reviewing whether the final implementation will be production ready by 8.200's release. As previously stated, there are other factors to consider other than it just "already being possible at the command line". We need to closely monitor it for various appliance sizes and ensure it is ready to be "officially supported". We'll keep you informed. It is indeed in the beta (and 8.100) and can be enabled by a simple command line switch. Check the forums for a howto.

• William WarrenWilliam Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ti has been shelved for 8.2 as of right now. there's is now no commitment on this being in 8.2. NOt enthused.

• William WarrenWilliam Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

according to a forum post this is not going to be included in 8.2? at least not in this beta. is the intention still to include this in 8.2 or has this now been changed?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base