Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Networking: Time-Based quality of service rules

Add option for Time-Based QOS rules, Where we can assign time and Bandwidth to a Network.

172 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Vivek RajputVivek Rajput shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Bandwidth per time settings (QoS)  ·   · 
    Matjaz ZnidarMatjaz Znidar shared a merged idea: P2P: Time-Based QoS Rules  ·   · 

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • IT GroupIT Group commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been first mentioned in 2010 (on this page anyway)? Cheaper firewalls already have this feature. This shouldn't even be a request of any decent firewall these days, yet alone a request that has sat for five years. The option to assign time to a firewall rule is working fine. Would it really take that much work to allow assigning time to QoS rules? Five years worth of work?? Your customers know what they want and they're telling you, Sophos. Why not react faster?? For now, admins are stuck with manually flipping these QoS services on at the appropriate time or using a rule to block (instead of shape) traffic during the time window.

• Patrick LupienPatrick Lupien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be useful to handle bulk uploads to go faster during off hours. Having to limit upload to keep the phones working clearly while staff is using them, but allow the full upstream when staff is out of the office would be greatly beneficial. Admin's would spend less time choosing the lesser evil.

• IntersedIntersed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be very useful to limit inter-site data replication during workhours...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, Sophos, implement it please, can't be very difficult and it would be very useful.

• KevinKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be implemented as soon as possible. QoS without time scheduling is almost useless.

I just came here to request this feature. Turns out it already is requested. Hope it gets implemented soon! Time-Period object is already available on firewall rules, can't see why not on QoS / Bandwith pools!

This is not really an optional feature for a next-gen gateway.
        I would like to strongly suggest for this to be implemented as soon as possible.

• Patrick McDanielPatrick McDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needed this just yesterday. Had an offsite backup job run over into work hours and slowed everything to a crawl. Nothing I can do but manually enable a QoS rule in the morning when I arrive and hope I remember to turn it off before te end of the day.

• LiucLiuc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be perfect...if there is the way to create a rule as following:
        user1 -> social Networking -> 1hour
        so in work day a specific user o group of users can visit social sites maximum for 1 hour

Feedback and Knowledge Base