Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Licensing: Free Home-Use License on ASG Appliances

Currently it is not possible to use a hardware appliance with a home use license, meaning it is necessary to wipe the device's hard drive and reinstall from the software appliance ISO. I've never been sure of the reason for this restriction - used Astaro hardware is available from sources such as eBay and so is a viable option for home use. It would be great to be able to make full use of the additional hardware appliance features (LCD display on 220s and up, graphic of appliance port activity on dashboard) when running as a home user.

395 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MarCowMarCow shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason WindischJason Windisch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently use a VM for the UTM at home. I would be interested in buying a user UTM instead. I vote for this.

• Aaron MarksAaron Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can't even use the standard software ISO anymore as of 8.201 to install on ASG hardware appliances. I found this out when playing around with some old ASG 120s last week. Bummer!

• Sascha PantleonSascha Pantleon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very Useful for Technican-Spezialist to learn Astaro at home or for privat Person to get an Astaro at ebay or resale old Astaros by Partners. Sounds good. I like it!

• Martin CowleyMartin Cowley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Daniel - yes, in the past (with an ASG 110/120 and now an ASG 220) I've always either wiped the disk using DBAN or just deleted the "asg" file, so the ASG installer no longer recognizes it as a hardware appliance and allows an install from the software ISO. My point is that it would be nice to not have to do this; if I could use my home license directly with a hardware appliance, then I could always use my hardware appliance as intended, with no hacks required to support hardware-specific features such as the LCD displays on the front of ASG 220s and up.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree have cheap ones for home use would be nice Along with the fact it would work with a home user license/

• ritespeedritespeed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of the wiping of the drive why not just make a live usb version that way I could implement the usage on any pc that is not active. I have a lot of computers not being used so why not allow a boot from the usb so I can still have full functionality of each pc. An even cooler idea would allow the network to have 2 or 3 usbs bootable so if you needed to get on an old system you could still maintain full coverage.

• dstutzdstutz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should be able to install the software image on the Astaro appliances. You have to delete existing partitions (from previous installs).

Regards,
        Daniel

• SkytranceSkytrance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also whant to use ASG220 at home (i think it will look very nice in my Rack :-) ).
        What ist the difference between own Hardware and ASG220??? I can't see any problem... ;-)

Nice wishes for the new year. :-)

• SJariSJari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using my own hardware with installed ASG from an ISO, I'm thinking to buy an appliance at home, it will really be nice to be able to use home license with it!

Feedback and Knowledge Base