Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

RED: Uplink via WiFi

RED rocks. It's simple and it works. I would like to see an option where the uplink would not have to be a hard cable to an Internet connection. Make it an option where the WAN link could be WiFi

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark B.Mark B. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scott RatsonScott Ratson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just thinking the same thing, but it would need to be able to be configured through a web interface that lets you authenticate on public wifis that require a login or acceptance of terms to allow internet traffic. This would be a great roaming device for people who travel and can only get wifi at hotels. It would create a secure connection from anywhere in the world.

• Aaron MasonAaron Mason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An easier way is to use a device like a Ubiquiti Bullet and configure it as a client. There are many other wireless routers that can be configured as a client for this purpose. Many will bridge the connection so that you appear on the wireless network as just another wireless device.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I understand it is technically tricky, given all the complexities of WiFi Security/etc., but maybe a USB dongle that you could use with your laptop to configure the settings and then move over to the RED.

• Craig AndersonCraig Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is already an option to do 3G via a USB dongle - just make it so we can use a USB wifi dongle and we'll be good to go!

Feedback and Knowledge Base