Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

I suggest you ...

Network Security: Firewall Rule "Hit" Counters

Display the number of packets that match each rule in the table. So you can locate unnecessary packetfilter rules. Should be able to reset the hit counter(s) as needed, along with a tooltip to show the last time(s) of the previous few hits.

171 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PBehmerPBehmer shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    ehofstedeehofstede shared a merged idea: trigger count on rules  ·   · 
    XeviousXevious shared a merged idea: Show when a packet filter rule was used for the last time.  ·   · 
    Michael SchwadorfMichael Schwadorf shared a merged idea: Trackable Packet-Filter Rule Effectiveness  ·   · 

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SLSL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cisco ASA firewall has this Feature, it's great for cleaning up the Rules.

• Marcus HockMarcus Hock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would _really_ make rule management easier - Checkpoint added this in R75.40 (yeeeeees, I know, Astaro is not Checkpoint). A very helpful feature though!
        If easier (or more efficient) than counters, "last used" field would be sufficient to find unneeded rules.

• Michiel BeumerMichiel Beumer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

essential for a smooth firewall with many rules!
        While you're at it, please make it possible to filter for protocols

• charles sterlingcharles sterling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently the archived logs exclude info like "country block" reference so you are forced to sort by rule and then lookup the rules in these groups to locate problem areas.

• ScottScott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this and other real-time statistics throughout WebAdmin would be great!

Feedback and Knowledge Base