Do you recognize a good idea when you see one? We want to hear from you!
Header Image

How can we improve Sophos Mobile Solutions?

Geo-fencing

Push out or remove policies based on the device GEO location. This feature will require constant communication of the location with the server

83 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Thomas LippertAdminThomas Lippert (Senior Product Manager - Mobile, Sophos Features & Ideas Laboratory) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SimonisSimonis shared a merged idea: Implementing GeoFencing  ·   · 

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

need it too.. Sample: User is on the way to vacation. at other Countrys (outside Germany) he pays lot of roaming fee. With geofencing we are able to disable active sync... It dont need to be a realtime geolocating...

• John LesterJohn Lester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One way of doing this without draining battery too much would be to simply look to see if specific SSIDs are resolvable. If I can see the company WiFi then I'm near work. That is significantly less power intense than using true GeoLocate and more than accurate enough for _MOST_ requirements.

• Pascal GünzlerPascal Günzler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First of all, I speak for the legislation in my country.
        and second GEO-fencing in generell should be defined more specific
        for example: if you have a constant communication between server an mobile device, it drains your batteries incredibly fast. So for most uses it should be avoided to have too much traffic.
        On top of that it could be an infringement of the law to constantly monitor the position of the emloyees.
        But on the other hand, if the interval is too long it is a security problem, because in-between these interval there could be any kind of movement with the device.
        So a solution could be to just change between two profiles, depending on the distance to a gps point.
        -The app would require to be able to save two profiles and/or synchronize everytime the device is leaving one of the zones.
        (it should have a buffer-zone, in order to prevent permanent changing if positioned at the edge of one zone
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_logic#Applying_truth_values)
        -And the App must be able to watch the current gps position to match the distance to a specific gps-marker.
        With these simple changes it should be possible to change profiles depending on the position, without constantly "watching" the user of the mobile-device

• Peter SkondroPeter Skondro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additionally certain actions like e.g. Device Wipe should be available when leaving an area (e.g. Tablet with healt care informationen leaving the hospital location should be automatically wiped).

• John LesterJohn Lester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something which has been specifically requested by 3 customers in the last week - I understand that MobileIron can do it already however I cannot find the info on their own website...

Feedback and Knowledge Base